~The quixotic notions of a rambling insomniac~

(¯`·._.·[Don't you think it's time • Time for moving on • Time for growing strong • Time to leave the past behind ]·._.·´¯)

Monday, April 18, 2005

Golden Wedding Anniversary

Saturday was my grandparents 50th Wedding Anniversary. I left Melbourne on Friday afternoon to travel home by bus. I arrived that evening feeling absolutely exhausted. Saturday was spent doing homework and study since I had a mid-semester test today. On Sunday we went to a restaurant to celebrate my grandparent’s milestone of marriage. All of my family were there which has become an increasingly rare event. My uncle and his family had flown from Brisbane to be there and my aunt and her family had travelled from Melbourne, as had I.

In this day and age it has become progressively more common for people to have several partners and not marry or if they do marry, to divorce after 5-10 years. I don’t believe that any relationship or marriage is perfect. It is always a matter of compromise between two parties. My grandparents have been through a lot during their 50 years together. They have faced poverty, drought, floods and the changing seasons. Together they raised a family of six. My grandfather supported my grandmother in the aftermath of her stroke. She has been there for him when he was diagnosed with diabetes last year. They may nag one another about things but it is plain to see that they love each other. They are an example of what a marriage should be about.

This is a photo of them taken on their wedding day with their parents.




Cutting their wedding cake.




Cutting their anniversary cake on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home