Othello and love
My old college was performing Shakespeares Othello last week. Several people that I'm friends with were in the cast and crew. Myself, Spellshaper and Xany went to see the friday night performance, and I must say that it was the poorest excuse for a play that I have ever seen. Several of the lead actors forgot their cues and also their lines. I still enjoyed it, was a bit silly at times but funny all in all.
Afterwards we headed to Lygon st for cake. Cake is delicous. Notturno's is a good place to go if you want decent food, the downside is that you pay dearly for it. I'd also recommend the alcoholic milkshakes and the fried eggplant chips (I don't normally eat eggplant, I find that it is rather tasteless. However after having eaten eggplant chips you'll find that it's the only way to eat eggplant, because these are yummy!)
By the time we had finished eating it was midnight so there were no more trams >_< So I decided to walk back to college with everyone rather than go home (my flatmate gone mugged near our place not long ago). We invaded Spellshapers room, it being the largest and no one else volunteering theirs (probably too messy =P). We spent the next six hours talking about random stuff. Anyway love was mentioned. Now most of you would know that this is something which I have become a bit cynical and jaded about. I don't believe in love at first sight, lust maybe, but not love. How can any person claim to love someone that they have only just met? I was the only person present who had actually dated before, so it was rather interesting to see the others perspective on most fickle of human emotions.
The first task was to try and describe what we thought love was. Ash just returned from his faculty's ball claimed "love sucks". The response was varied but that's to be expected. Every person has their own concept and ideas about love. The common excuse [YES, it is an excuse guys] was that because they had never dated that they could not fully answer the question. Has it somehow become mandatory to have dated to be able to even discuss this topic? Besides which it wasn't as if you were asked whether you liked anyone. ^-^
Then we tried to list the qualities that we look for in prospective partners. This actually went off into a bit of a tangent with me and Xany trying to explain (probably unsuccessfully) why we find some guys "creepy". Once back on topic we basically decided on some core things that all of us were looking for. These were essentially:
(1) Intelligence, the person had to be at least as intelligent as ourselves otherwise we'd get frustrated by their stupidity.
(2) Sense of Humour, humourless people are very boring.
(3) Understanding, they have to be able to understand who we are,what our wants and needs are, not all the time but often enough.
Funny that we're all looking for the same qualities, although maybe not. When you think about it, I guess most people are looking for those exact same things.
The following are my own personal add-ons.
(4) Someone who can tolerate my weirdness.....ask anyone, it's difficult to cope with.
(5) Try not to pick on my hobbies. I acknowledge that matchboxes, bottles, cars and steam engines may not be interesting to everyone, hence why I don't bore people to death with talking about them.
(6) Pick on my friends or family and I may have to injure you. Seriously, insulting my friends and family is the most annoying thing anyone could do.
(7) Don't try to control my life. I like being independant. I'll do as I please.
I've actually had many of my friends complaining lately that they'll never have a bf/gf. It's become such an obsession with many of them. If someone doesn't return their interest they question and analyse as to why they are not interested. One friend in particular sees it as a failure that she hasn't been kissed and she's almost 21. BIG DEAL. Why is it so important? Do you need to have someone else to make you feel as if you're worth something? Can't you be complete without a partner? Sometimes it gets me soooo annoyed. Sure having someone would be nice but it's not exactly essential. Many people seek to have a relationship not for love but for the sake of having a relationship. They're not in it for love, but for pleasure, prestige, power and numerous other reasons. Of course there are some sincere souls out there that are in it for love. Then there are those that are perfectly fine on their own, they have no emotional need for a relationship. They will not actively look for love, but if it finds them, well and good.
I think I basically fit into the last since I'm not emotionally needy. Generally I close things in and deal with it myself. I may have my bouts of depression but my friends pull me through *hugs* Thanx guys.
Hmmm Tendafoot just posed an interesting question to me while I was writing this. Anyway we're having quite an indepth talk about life and the universe. Surprisingly he's quite coherant when drunk. So his question was whether I've ever been in love. A surprisingly tough question...
Afterwards we headed to Lygon st for cake. Cake is delicous. Notturno's is a good place to go if you want decent food, the downside is that you pay dearly for it. I'd also recommend the alcoholic milkshakes and the fried eggplant chips (I don't normally eat eggplant, I find that it is rather tasteless. However after having eaten eggplant chips you'll find that it's the only way to eat eggplant, because these are yummy!)
By the time we had finished eating it was midnight so there were no more trams >_< So I decided to walk back to college with everyone rather than go home (my flatmate gone mugged near our place not long ago). We invaded Spellshapers room, it being the largest and no one else volunteering theirs (probably too messy =P). We spent the next six hours talking about random stuff. Anyway love was mentioned. Now most of you would know that this is something which I have become a bit cynical and jaded about. I don't believe in love at first sight, lust maybe, but not love. How can any person claim to love someone that they have only just met? I was the only person present who had actually dated before, so it was rather interesting to see the others perspective on most fickle of human emotions.
The first task was to try and describe what we thought love was. Ash just returned from his faculty's ball claimed "love sucks". The response was varied but that's to be expected. Every person has their own concept and ideas about love. The common excuse [YES, it is an excuse guys] was that because they had never dated that they could not fully answer the question. Has it somehow become mandatory to have dated to be able to even discuss this topic? Besides which it wasn't as if you were asked whether you liked anyone. ^-^
Then we tried to list the qualities that we look for in prospective partners. This actually went off into a bit of a tangent with me and Xany trying to explain (probably unsuccessfully) why we find some guys "creepy". Once back on topic we basically decided on some core things that all of us were looking for. These were essentially:
(1) Intelligence, the person had to be at least as intelligent as ourselves otherwise we'd get frustrated by their stupidity.
(2) Sense of Humour, humourless people are very boring.
(3) Understanding, they have to be able to understand who we are,what our wants and needs are, not all the time but often enough.
Funny that we're all looking for the same qualities, although maybe not. When you think about it, I guess most people are looking for those exact same things.
The following are my own personal add-ons.
(4) Someone who can tolerate my weirdness.....ask anyone, it's difficult to cope with.
(5) Try not to pick on my hobbies. I acknowledge that matchboxes, bottles, cars and steam engines may not be interesting to everyone, hence why I don't bore people to death with talking about them.
(6) Pick on my friends or family and I may have to injure you. Seriously, insulting my friends and family is the most annoying thing anyone could do.
(7) Don't try to control my life. I like being independant. I'll do as I please.
I've actually had many of my friends complaining lately that they'll never have a bf/gf. It's become such an obsession with many of them. If someone doesn't return their interest they question and analyse as to why they are not interested. One friend in particular sees it as a failure that she hasn't been kissed and she's almost 21. BIG DEAL. Why is it so important? Do you need to have someone else to make you feel as if you're worth something? Can't you be complete without a partner? Sometimes it gets me soooo annoyed. Sure having someone would be nice but it's not exactly essential. Many people seek to have a relationship not for love but for the sake of having a relationship. They're not in it for love, but for pleasure, prestige, power and numerous other reasons. Of course there are some sincere souls out there that are in it for love. Then there are those that are perfectly fine on their own, they have no emotional need for a relationship. They will not actively look for love, but if it finds them, well and good.
I think I basically fit into the last since I'm not emotionally needy. Generally I close things in and deal with it myself. I may have my bouts of depression but my friends pull me through *hugs* Thanx guys.
Hmmm Tendafoot just posed an interesting question to me while I was writing this. Anyway we're having quite an indepth talk about life and the universe. Surprisingly he's quite coherant when drunk. So his question was whether I've ever been in love. A surprisingly tough question...

5 Comments:
At 4:36 pm, August 16, 2005,
Xany said…
Tough question, eh?
And hey, it's not an excuse! Can't define something you don't know anything about. We did discuss it anyway though. :P
I don't get that bf/gf thing either though. It just ... doesn't seem to be that big a deal.
At 9:20 pm, August 16, 2005,
loner1200 said…
^ What She Said ^
At 11:21 pm, August 21, 2005,
Snipergirl said…
I think I've been "in love" countless numbers of times because my emotional threshhold just happens to be really low and I just fall in love with people randomly. It's getting better though; at least the last one actually reciprocated that. How sad. Ok, I'm going to comment less on my lovelife.
*eep*
At 7:59 pm, August 22, 2005,
Araluena said…
Heh! Poor Snipergirl. *Hugs* It will get better.
I did actually end up figuring out the answer after much soul searching but it's too difficult and weird to explain on the blog.
At 8:00 pm, August 23, 2005,
Anonymous said…
"Do you need to have someone else to make you feel as if you're worth something? Can't you be complete without a partner?"
Yes, and no. In that order.
Or at least I used to think so. I used to think that if I had someone then I would feel like I was worth something and I would feel complete. I'm starting to realise my problems cant be solved that easily.
Post a Comment
<< Home