Swimming and rockclimbing
Fieldtrip was interesting. Tiring. Saturday morning was good. Looked at lots of sedimentary features. In the afternoon we shifted further around the coast to do some mapping on an outcrop reached by an inlet that was dry at low tide. However when we left it was almost high tide the wind was pushing the sea higher so we had to wade through a metre of freezing cold water. Continued heading back towards our original dropoff point only to find that we had been truly cut off. On the way in we had to climb down over some rocks which were now being buffeted by waves. So my group of friends had a quick discussion and decided to climb the cliff. Our professor and about 4 students made it over the climb down area but noone else could get thorugh due to the massive waves. Pretty soon everyone was climbing the cliffs. It was hard going cos we were all carrying backpacks and the cliffs were 100metres high and almost vertical. Not something I want to repeat again in a hurry. It was very lucky that noone was killed.I was fourth to the top which is pretty good considering I hate heights. Then you have to bash your way through thick teatree scrub. GAH. It took us about 2 hours to get everyone out of the bay. My professor was a bit anxious and went back to help people up the cliff and apparently went thru the climb through to get there (amongst the massive waves) and on his way back he got completely drenched. Hehe and some of the guys got photos of it.
yeah so basically I'm rather tired and my legs hurt. Massive bruises of many colours.
I'll update/edit this at some point so that it's a bit more cohereant.
yeah so basically I'm rather tired and my legs hurt. Massive bruises of many colours.
I'll update/edit this at some point so that it's a bit more cohereant.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home