It's official now: I am an insomniac
I was not happy with the essay that I handed in last week, the conclusion was unformed and didn't draw together all of my points. However my tutor appeared to like it. A lot. I got a H1! W00t!!! I'm ecstatic about that.
Anyway I had my appointment today at the sleep clinic. I have been diagnosed as suffering from not one but TWO sleep disorders. Sleep Onset Insomnia (also known as Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) is when you take an exceptionally long time to get to sleep. It generally takes me between 1-2 hours to get to sleep. Sometimes this can extend to 5 hours. I have had times when I haven't slept for up to three days, by which time I am collapsing from exhaustion. Basically it means that my bodyclock has been delayed so that I'm not likely to sleep even if I go to bed early. I've forgotten the name of the other disorder, it appears that it's not terribly common, and I for one, haven't heard of it before. Something to do with excessive and intrusive thoughts. Heh. I've been told that I should actually set aside time each day to worry about things. The idea behind this is that when I try to sleep I can go "nope, already worried about that, worry about it tomorrow." Meh, doubt that it'll work. I have to keep a sleep diary for the next month, take sleeping tablets to adjust my bodyclock and aid my return to normal sleeping patterns.
Oh and you have to love the doctor's comment: "Use the bed for sleep and sex only." WTF!
Since I got to my appointment early and they sent me in straight away, I could have a leisurely walk back to uni. I still had 90 minutes before my first class so I sat in a nice sunny spot and did my readings. (Yes, I was lazy, I was going to do them the night before but procrastinated instead.)
Had my tutorial then a lecture, headed home and had some lunch. Then I did what I really should never ever do: I took a nap. I was planning on just having a rest but I fell asleep and slept for 4 hours. >_< I was just so exhausted and dropped off straight away. Now I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight. Also it's not going to look too good on the sleep diary.
Spellshaper rang Vesper and we went to dinner. Mmmm food. Cannot be bothered writing anymore. Feel lethargic and tired. Which I shouldn't be.
Anyway I had my appointment today at the sleep clinic. I have been diagnosed as suffering from not one but TWO sleep disorders. Sleep Onset Insomnia (also known as Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) is when you take an exceptionally long time to get to sleep. It generally takes me between 1-2 hours to get to sleep. Sometimes this can extend to 5 hours. I have had times when I haven't slept for up to three days, by which time I am collapsing from exhaustion. Basically it means that my bodyclock has been delayed so that I'm not likely to sleep even if I go to bed early. I've forgotten the name of the other disorder, it appears that it's not terribly common, and I for one, haven't heard of it before. Something to do with excessive and intrusive thoughts. Heh. I've been told that I should actually set aside time each day to worry about things. The idea behind this is that when I try to sleep I can go "nope, already worried about that, worry about it tomorrow." Meh, doubt that it'll work. I have to keep a sleep diary for the next month, take sleeping tablets to adjust my bodyclock and aid my return to normal sleeping patterns.
Oh and you have to love the doctor's comment: "Use the bed for sleep and sex only." WTF!
Since I got to my appointment early and they sent me in straight away, I could have a leisurely walk back to uni. I still had 90 minutes before my first class so I sat in a nice sunny spot and did my readings. (Yes, I was lazy, I was going to do them the night before but procrastinated instead.)
Had my tutorial then a lecture, headed home and had some lunch. Then I did what I really should never ever do: I took a nap. I was planning on just having a rest but I fell asleep and slept for 4 hours. >_< I was just so exhausted and dropped off straight away. Now I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight. Also it's not going to look too good on the sleep diary.
Spellshaper rang Vesper and we went to dinner. Mmmm food. Cannot be bothered writing anymore. Feel lethargic and tired. Which I shouldn't be.

6 Comments:
At 9:40 pm, September 14, 2005,
Richard said…
sp4mx3330rd!
I think I might have those sleep disorders as well.
At 10:05 pm, September 14, 2005,
Araluena said…
Damn spam. But you sleep during the day.
At 10:35 pm, September 14, 2005,
Anonymous said…
How exactly did you end up at the sleep clinic? Were you referred?
You really are in a good place though, living in Melbourne and being quite close to great specialist services.
Tell me more about the second sleeping disorder. It sounds similiar to something one of my friends seems to have a bit of.
Anyway, I hope it sorts out soon.
At 10:38 pm, September 14, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Do you think that staying up to all hours playing games makes your insommnia worse?
Or do you do it to help pass the time when you can't sleep?
At 11:34 pm, September 14, 2005,
Araluena said…
Yes, I was referred because I have had several episodes when I have collapsed/cannot remember stuff because of sleep deprivation.
Heh the staying up and playing games has practically ceased apart from the occasional Lan party. Generally if I can't get to sleep after 90 minutes I'll get up and do stuff then try to sleep later on. This explains my penchant for late night blogging =P
Btw anonymous I'm kind of wondering who you are.
At 6:02 pm, September 16, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Fair enough.
I have read that if you can't sleep the worst thing to do is try to sleep, and that you're better off getting up and doing something 'til you feel sleepy.
It doesn't sound like a very pleasant problem to have.
All the best with your treatment xx
Post a Comment
<< Home